Connect with us

Sports

World Cup: South Korea Can Shock Brazil, Says Son

Published

on

Son Heung-min wants his South Korea side to pull off “another miracle” and beat Brazil on Monday in the World Cup last 16 after their last-gasp heroics against Portugal.

The Koreans’ tournament looked to be over until substitute Hwang Hee-chan popped up in injury time to score the winner in a 2-1 victory over already qualified Portugal on Friday in Qatar.

That propelled them into the knockout rounds and a daunting date with Brazil, one of the pre-tournament favourites.

But skipper Son, who has been playing in a mask following surgery last month for a fracture around his left eye, said they are not ready to go home just yet.

After what has been a tournament of surprises, the Koreans now want to pull off another one.

“This is great but our tournament is not over,” Spurs attacker Son said following the emotions of the dramatic win over Portugal.

“We’ve always talked about reaching the round of 16 as our objective but we should now try to go beyond that,” Son, who shed tears of joy, told Korean media in Doha.

“I hope we can script another miracle,” he added, having set up Hwang with a searing run and threaded pass through the legs of a Portuguese defender.

Some in South Korea are beginning to draw parallels with the national side of 2002 who stunned the world as co-hosts by reaching the semi-finals.

Current assistant coach Sergio Costa, who took charge from the sidelines for the Group H clash with Portugal because coach Paulo Bento was suspended, resisted such talk.

“I cannot compare because I watched the World Cup in 2002 on TV and didn’t know them personally,” said Costa, having masterminded the win over his native Portugal in his boss’s absence.

“I’ve seen a few games from the past but I cannot make a comparison because I didn’t know the Korean team back then.

“I can tell you what it is now — it’s a team that is very honest.

“That is something that we are very proud of, we see those players with a strong personality and they deserve what we have accomplished,” he added.

AFP

 840 total views,  3 views today

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sports

I Regret My Action Against Netherlands Coach, Van Gaal At 2022 World Cup, Says Messi

Published

on

Argentina captain, Lionel Messi, has revealed regretful behaviour during his team’s 2022 FIFA World Cup quarter-final tie against the Netherlands in Qatar.

Recall that Messi led Argentina to beat the Netherlands 4-3 on penalties following a 2-2 draw.

Messi’s first controversial moment during the encounter was after he scored Argentina’s second goal when he cupped his ears and stood defiantly looking at Netherlands head coach Louis van Gaal.

It was a reference to ‘Topo Gigio’, a cartoon mouse that gave Argentina legend Juan Roman Riquelme his nickname.

Riquelme and Van Gaal notoriously didn’t get on while the pair were at Barca, with the former being forced out by the Dutchman.

Speaking to Andy Kusnetzoff in an interview carried by MD, Messi said he did not like his celebration during Argentina’s tie with the Netherlands.

The Paris Saint-Germain forward said, “The truth is that no (I did not prepare it). I did not like it. It came out at the moment and yes, I knew what had been said before the game, what he had said. Some of my teammates told me, ‘did you see what he said’ on purpose.

The former Barcelona captain added, “We got 2-0 and then at the time, I don’t like what I did, what happened later with the ‘off you go, stupid’ [anda pa’ ‘lla bobo]. These are moments of great tension, a lot of anxiousness, everything happens very quickly and you don’t have time to think about anything. Actually, nothing was planned, it happened like that and as I say, it is not an image I like to give off.”

Messi went on to win the Golden Ball award for the best player of the World Cup tournament.

 477 total views,  311 views today

Continue Reading

Sports

Arsenal Set Sights On Chelsea Star, Jorginho

Published

on

Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has switched his attention to Chelsea’s Jorginho in his search for a new central midfielder.

According to SportsMail, a deal is a long way off, but work towards the transfer has started.

It could be completed ahead of Tuesday’s transfer deadline.

This comes as Arsenal spent the whole of Monday deliberating whether to send in a third offer for Brighton midfielder, Moises Caicedo, amid fears they could damage their relationship with Brighton if they submit an improved bid.

Gunners chiefs were deliberating if to improve upon their latest bid of up to £ 70 million.

But Arsenal have started analysing alternatives; with Chelsea midfielder Jorginho emerging as their preferred option.

 487 total views,  311 views today

Continue Reading

Sports

You Can Go If You Wish, Guardiola Tells Cancelo

Published

on

Manchester City defender, Joao Cancelo, is set to leave the club on a loan deal to Bayern Munich, according to The Athletic.

Cancelo has fallen out of favour with manager Pep Guardiola this season.

The 28-year-old and Guardiola have had their ups and downs from the time he moved to the Etihad in 2019 from Juventus.

However, in recent seasons Cancelo has become one of Manchester City’s standout performers contributing both defensively and in the attack.

His form means that Cancelo was only a substitute in Portugal’s last two matches at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Upon his return to England, Cancelo has started only three of City’s matches and has seen Rico Lewis become the first-choice right-back even ahead of Kyle Walker.

 858 total views,  295 views today

Continue Reading



Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending