A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Prof Itse Sagay, says President Bola Tinubu should have waited six months after his inauguration before removing subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) also known as petrol.
He made this known during a conversation around the future of Nigeria. The senior lawyer was a guest on Inside Sources with Laolu Akande aired on Channels Television on Friday.
He said the sudden manner in which the President removed petrol subsidy in his inaugural speech on May 29, 2023 has created untold hardship.
Sagay, the Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) from 2015 to 2023, said the Tinubu administration should have waited for the commencement of petrol production locally before yanking off subsidy on the premium commodity.
“Petrol is critical to our lives. The cost of living is going up, and basic living is now expensive. I think we might have gone on for another six months and as internal production was coming up, then the subsidy can be removed,” he said.
Continuing, Sagay said, “The immediacy and the sudden manner of the decision to remove petrol subsidy has created an immediate level of hardship which is almost becoming unbearable.”
“I am not in full agreement with the way and order some of the things are being done now. On the issue of petrol, I would have been happier if the government had been patient to allow internal production to commence before removing the subsidy.
“Now, Dangote is now producing. And of course, the refinery in Port Harcourt is almost ready. Perhaps, if we had waited a little longer, the transition will not have been harsh. We are in it already but I think we are in competent hands and we will get out of it.
“We’ve been on this subsidy for decades and a few more months would not have killed us. You can see the difference in lifestyle now.”
Sagay also said there must be a stop to the “deterioration of the value of the naira”. He said, “I never dreamt that there would be a time when the dollar would change for over N1,000 to a dollar. It has to stop, otherwise, it will destroy everything that the government is trying to do.”
The senior lawyer, however, expressed confidence in the new government and its ability to provide quality leadership for the Nigerian people. “They are people who know what they are doing. I have faith in them and I believe that as time goes on, the pressure on Nigerians will ease, hardship will decrease and we will be in a much better position that we are in now,” he said.
BREAKING: INEC Publishes Report Of 2023 General Election
The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has released its report on the 2023 general election.
The commission said the publication of the report is in keeping with its tradition over the last four electoral cycles and commitment to transparency.
This was made known in a statement by Sam Olumekun, the National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee.
Olumekun said the Report showcases the election’s unparalleled diversity in party representation, demonstrating significant democratic progress.
According to him, the 2023 general election saw four political parties winning gubernatorial races, seven parties winning senatorial seats, eight in federal constituencies and nine in State legislatures, illustrating a broad shift in political representation across Nigeria.
He said the document has been made accessible on its website and social media platforms.
“On Thursday, 22nd February 2024, the Commission convened for its weekly meeting, where the 2023 General Election Report was reviewed and approved for publication.
It partly read: “In keeping with our tradition over the last four electoral cycles, and our commitment to transparency, we are pleased to announce the release of the official INEC report on the 2023 General Election.
“This comprehensive 526-page document, structured into 13 chapters and enhanced with 60 tables, 14 boxes and 10 graphs, offers an in-depth analysis of the election’s key processes, achievements, and challenges, alongside valuable lessons learned.
“The Report showcases the election’s unparalleled diversity in party representation, demonstrating significant democratic progress. This election saw four political parties winning gubernatorial races, seven parties winning senatorial seats, eight in federal constituencies and nine in State legislatures, illustrating a broad shift in political representation across Nigeria.
“The Report underscores the pivotal role of technological advancements, particularly the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS), in enhancing electoral integrity and reducing fraud. Furthermore, it addresses public concerns about the INEC Result Viewing (IReV) portal, explaining the technical issues encountered during the upload of polling unit results for the presidential election.
JUST IN: Okpebholo Declared Winner Of Edo APC Gov’ship Primary
Senator Monday Okpebholo has been declared winner of the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the September 2024 governorship election in Edo State.
Okpebholo scored 12, 433 votes to emerge winner.
Yoruba Nation: Igboho Accuses Buhari Of Attempting To Assassinate Him
Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo popularly known as Igboho, on Friday, said he came back to Nigeria by the power of God.
Igboho made the remark while accusing former President Muhammadu Buhari of attempting to assassinate him.
He alleged that Buhari sent the Department of State Services, DSS, and soldiers to assassinate him in his house.
Addressing his followers in Oyo State, the freedom fighter claimed that his agitation against Fulani herders killing of farmers in the Southwest was behind the move to assassinate him.
According to Igboho: “Buhari sent his soldiers and DSS to arrest me in my house because I said Yorubas are not slaves to Fulanis, they can’t suppress us in our father’s land.
“Fulanis can’t stop our fathers and mothers from going to their farms. But, I’m back with the power of God and authority not that of man.”
The freedom fighter returned to Nigeria on Thursday, ahead of his mother’s burial in the Saki area of Oyo State.
Igboho has been out of Nigeria since 2021 when he eloped to Benin Republic after he was declared wanted by the DSS.
DSS had invaded his residence in the Soka area of Oyo State but he escaped.
The secret police had declared him wanted over his agitation for Yoruba Nation and attacks on Fulani herders accused of killing farmers in the Southwest.
In Benin Republic, Igboho was arrested and remanded while attempting to travel to Germany.
However, he recently regained his freedom after two years in a Beninoise prison.
- BREAKING: INEC Publishes Report Of 2023 General Election
- JUST IN: Okpebholo Declared Winner Of Edo APC Gov’ship Primary
- Rapper Ikechukwu Confirms Separation from Wife
- ‘Fafa, I Love You’ – Omah Lay Gives Shoutout To Lady He Danced With During London Concert
- Not Arsenal, Prove Yourself Outside Serie A – Thierry Henry Tells Osimhen
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment2 years ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
Headline2 years ago
Olukoya’s Govt Marked A Phenomenal Moment In Old Ondo – Akeredolu
Entertainment2 years ago
Singer, Oxlade In Big Mess After His Sex Tape With A Strange Lady Surfaces Online (Watch Video)
Entertainment4 years ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)
Headline2 years ago
Just In: 2023: We Won’t Support Tinubu’s Ambition -Ambode Campaign Organisation
World news5 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda
Entertainment2 years ago
Pornstar, Harley Dean Accuses Rihanna, Travis Scott Of Allegedly Spreading STDs
Entertainment3 years ago
I’m Not Sick But Only Lost Some Weight – Kiss Daniel