The All Progressives Grand Alliance has suspended the factional Speaker of the Anambra State House of Assembly, Ikem Uzoezie, for alleged anti-party activities.
Others also suspended were Messrs Hartford Oseke and Victor Okoye.
The State Chairman of the party, Chief Norbert Obi, stated this at a press conference at the party’s secretariat in Awka on Thursday.
Obi said that after reviewing the circumstances surrounding the impeachment of the Speaker of the House, Rita Maduagwu on Tuesday, it had become expedient to suspend the key player in the saga “to save the party from self-destruction.”
Uzoezie had led 19 other members of the House on Tuesday to impeach Maduagwu and assumed the speakership of the House.
But the APGA state chairman of the party, at the press conference, said “the party would not condone such internal wrangling.”
His statement read in part: “Recall that on Tuesday, 13th November 2018, some Honorable members of the All Progressives Grand Alliance in the Anambra State House of Assembly, during their plenary session, attempted to impeach the Hon Speaker of
the House, Rt Hon Barr Rita Maduagwu, following a motion moved by the Hon member representing Agutata II Constituency, Hon. Ikem Uzoezie, which was seconded by the Hon member representing Ekwusigo Constituency, Hon. Onyebuchi Offor.
“It is the position of the party in Anambra State that the attempted impeachment was not necessary.
“Granted the fact that we had problems during the just-concluded party primaries in the state, this is not enough to pull the party down, more so when the party has inaugurated a reconciliation committee to look into the grievances of the aggrieved aspirants and members of the party.
“Every right thinking Igbo man knows that APGA is not only a party but a movement for the actualization of Igbo agenda in the Nigerian polity. It will amount to shooting oneself in the leg for any Igbo man to pursue the destruction of APGA.”
The state chairman enjoined aggrieved members of the party to sheathe their swords, adding that failure to do so would amount to “setting our house on fire because of a rat.”
He added, “It is therefore the wish of the party that all members of APGA behind this unfortunate plot should retrace their steps in the interest of the party.
“We assure them that whatever is their grievances, they should be addressed to the satisfaction of all since this is a family affair.
“Be that as it may, the three ring leaders of the attempted impeachment saga, namely, Hon Ikem Uzoezie, Barr Hartford Oseke and Hon Victor Okoye are hereby suspended from the party pending the time they will appear before the disciplinary committee of the party for further action.”
208 total views, 3 views today
One Killed In Multiple Accidents On Kara Bridge, Motorists Groan In Gridlock
About seven vehicles including a container-laden truck were involved in the multiple accidents that have paralysed movement and left motorists and travellers on the ever-busy road stranded in nerve-racking gridlock.
Already, first responders including officers of the Federal Road Safety Corps and the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) have arrived the scene.
The FRSC Sector Commander in Ogun State, Ahmed Umar, told Channels Television that a traffic hawker was killed in the unfortunate accidents, adding that emergency responders are still rescuing those injured.
Umar attributed the cause of the accidents to brakes failure by the truck whose driver rammed into the vehicles in front of him from behind.
Similarly, a spokesperson for LASEMA told our correspondent that rescue efforts are ongoing at the scene of the accidents.
The situation, coupled with the repair works ongoing on the narrowed road, has caused intense traffic along the axis with scores of motorists struggling to find their way out of Lagos.
632 total views, 632 views today
Naira Hoarding: Sterling Bank In Fresh Trouble, Faults ICPC’s Arrest Of 2 Staff
Few days after Sterling Bank defended allegation of hoarding new N200 notes in the vault of its Ekiti branch office, the bank on the evening of Tuesday February 8, 2023, faced similar ‘charges’ at its Abuja regional office and other Federal Capital Territory branches.
Sterling Bank, in a communication, admitted that ICPC invited two of its staff for questioning in respect of the naira hoarding allegation.
The new allegation, this time coming from the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC), hinted of the bank deliberately withholding new naira notes from customers, two days away from the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) February 10 deadline for return of old notes.
ICPC had, on Tuesday evening, tweeted that it discovered millions of new naira notes in Sterling Bank’s Abuja offices, an allegation the bank denied in a statement.
Sterling Bank Respond ICPC’s Allegations
But the bank in a carefully crafted response to the naira hoarding allegation early Wednesday evening, said it complied with all complied with all guidelines on distribution of redesigned notes from inception to date.
What the bank is saying:
OUR ABUJA REGIONAL OFFICE
This report is developed for the purpose of providing the true representation of events to the narrative as expressed by the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) in a tweet late on Tuesday, February 7, 2023.
- A regulatory monitoring team visited our Abuja Central Business District (CBD) Complex on February 3, 2023.
- The monitoring team, in the company of the branch service manager and other staﬀ, inspected and observed the following꞉
- The branch’s ATMs were dispensing all denominations of the newly designed notes.
- The branch was in full compliance with the regulator’s recommendations on Over ‑ The‑Counter (OTC) disbursements.
During the inspection, the monitoring team made inquiries about the details of the cash observed in the vaults. To which the team responded with details of the branch’s ATM and OTC cash disbursement processes.
To our knowledge, all responses provided were satisfactory as no further queries were raised.
The monitoring team promptly left the premises upon concluding the inspection.
- Approximately one hour later, oﬃcials of the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC), accompanied by the monitoring team, returned to the branch and removed two of the branch’s staﬀ for further questioning at the ICPC headquarters in Abuja.
- The Sterling staﬀ were held at the ICPC oﬃce and were later released withoutany charges levied against them by the close of the business day on February 3, 2023.
About the visit to Sterling Bank, CBD, Abuja
- The Sterling branch at the Central Business District, Abuja, is a regional headquartersand serves as a hub for 5 Sterling branches and 15 ATM terminals within the region.
- During the visit, members of the monitoring team inspected the vault of the branchand observed the sum of N258,000,000 in N1000, N500 and N200 denominations.
- The distribution records from the CBD branch to other locations served within the region were presented for the evaluation of the monitoring team.
- The monitoring team proceeded to visit two branches in Utako and Wuye as both locations receive their cash disbursements from the regional headquarters ofSterling in CBD.
- Upon their visits to the Utako and Wuye branches, the monitoring team reviewed the records submitted for the movement of cash from the CBD branch to other branches served within the region. It is important to state that cash was being paid over the counter at both branches, and the ATM terminals were dispensing the newly designed denominations during the monitoring exercise.
Sterling deems it necessary to point out the following꞉
- Members of the regulatory monitoring team were informed of the sums contained in the branch’s vault prior to the inspection. These sums were conﬁrmed with are view of the records as presented by representatives of the Bank.
The assertion of a “discovery”, as presented in the narrative, is inaccurate and grossly misleading.
- All cash observed in the vault of the CBD branch was earmarked for distribution to other branches in the region for disbursement to customers of the bank and the public.
- The sum of N5,000,000 each as contained in the monitoring team’s report,represents the cash moved to augment the vault balances of the Utako, Wuye, Seda Close and Kotangora branches (in line with the bank’s daily routine of cash management) and also for disbursement to the public via their ATM terminals.
- All balances in our vaults are reported daily to the Central Bank of Nigeria and form the basis for the allocation of new notes in an eﬃcient manner; it is therefore,untrue that such monies are ‘stashed’ or ‘hoarded.’
Sterling’s Distribution of New Notes
From the commencement of the distribution of the re‑designed denominations, the CBD branch has received the total sum of N1,543,000,000 from the apex bankand paid to customers as summarized below꞉
- The sum of N892,700,000 paid out in about 104,821 transactions across 15ATM terminals between January 6 to February 6, 2023.
- The sum of N78,600,000 paid out in approximately 3,892 over‑the‑counter transactions across all 6 branches in the Abuja region between February 2, 2023 to February 6, 2023.
This was commenced upon receipt of the directive from the regulator to disburse the new notes over the counter ‑ subject to a limit of N20,000 per transaction.
- The sum of N1,000,000,000 in a combination of old and new notes, wasdisbursed to customers over the counter in about 2,124 transactions betweenDecember 15, 2022 and January 5, 2023.
The current balances across the 6 branches in Abuja as at the close of business on February 7, 2023 stood at N178,670,000.
The average vault balances currently held in the six locations is N30m per branch; well below our historical vault balances.
- The representatives of the bank duly informed the regulatory monitoring team and oﬃcials of the ICPC of the sums in the vault, stating the purpose as intended for distribution to other branches.
- It must be noted that no cash was “stashed” in the vault of the regional oﬃce.
For emphasis, we wish to state that Sterling Bank has complied with all the guidelines on the distribution of redesigned notes from inception to date,” the bank said regarding the naira hoarding allegation.
1,217 total views, 1,217 views today
CBN Deadline: How Supreme Court Ruling Saved Nigerians From Economic Shutdown, Fani-Kayode Speaks
Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode has hailed the Supreme Court ruling against the CBN on the use of old naira notes.
The apex court judgement annulled the Central Bank of Nigeria deadline of February 10 as the last date the notes would be acceptable.
A seven-man panel led by Justice John Okoro, in an unanimous ruling, ordered that the notes remain in circulation after Friday.
A statement by Fani-Kayode commended the Supreme Court for displaying “remarkable insight and sensitivity” in the matter.
He said the justices proved that the courts are the last hope of the common man “when faced with the tyranny of abusive and cruel policies and insane officials”.
The former presidential aide also thanked the All Progressives Congress, APC, chieftains, Governors Yahaya Bello, Nasir El-Rufai, and Bello Matawalle.
The Governments of Kogi, Kaduna and Zamfara States sued the Federal Government on Tuesday.
Fani-Kayode noted that history and posterity will reward them for getting a judgement that saved Nigerians from “the most complex and greatest evil”.
He described the deadline as “the darkest conspiracy” ever hatched against democracy and foisted on citizens by “a tiny group of evil technocrats and saboteurs working for a greater power”.
The APC 2023 campaign director said there’s now a chance to change the narrative and take away the immense suffering that has been imposed on Nigerians in the last few days.
Fan-Kayode added that the policy which sought to “inflict pain on the people, destroy their future and scuttle democracy” has been declared illegal.
1,317 total views, 1,317 views today
- Why I Regretted Dinning With My Enemy, Actress Monalisa Chinda Opens Up
- “This Is What I Look Like In Real Life” Actress Biodun Okeowo Sends Message To Her Admirers
- One Killed In Multiple Accidents On Kara Bridge, Motorists Groan In Gridlock
- Naira Hoarding: Sterling Bank In Fresh Trouble, Faults ICPC’s Arrest Of 2 Staff
- MC Oluomo: Remove Lagos REC, Now, Atiku Tells INEC
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Headline2 years ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Entertainment1 year ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Entertainment1 year ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
Headline11 months ago
BREAKING: Lagos CP Orders Security Beef Up Following MC Oluomo’s Suspension
Entertainment1 year ago
Singer, Oxlade In Big Mess After His Sex Tape With A Strange Lady Surfaces Online (Watch Video)
Headline9 months ago
Just In: 2023: We Won’t Support Tinubu’s Ambition -Ambode Campaign Organisation
Entertainment2 years ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)
World news4 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda