Connect with us

Headline

Hoodlums Set Ablaze INEC Office In Imo, Abduct Construction Workers

Published

on

Hoodlums have set ablaze an office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Imo State, kidnapping some construction workers who were later rescued.

“The Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for Imo State, Professor Sylvia Uchenna Agu, reported that our office in Orlu Local Government Area was attacked. The incident occurred yesterday Thursday 1st December 2022,” INEC National Commissioner Festus Okoye said in a statement on Friday.

“The building, which is undergoing extensive renovation following an earlier attack, was vandalised and partially set ablaze. Three out of seven construction workers were abducted but later released.”

Okoye said the damage would have been more extensive barring the response of the police personnel who were quick in mobilising their men to the scene.

“This is one attack too many. The Commission once again expresses its concern over the spate of attacks on its facilities and the negative consequences on our preparations for the 2023 General Election,” he added.

INEC has warned that the attacks may affect next year’s election.

Attacks on INEC offices have become commonplace across Nigeria with the nation set for the polls early next year.

In November, several INEC offices were attacked with the Commission warning of the threat of intensifying campaign violence ahead of the election, adding that it had tracked at least 50 attacks in the last two months.

Parliamentary and state elections will also be held in February.

Although no group claimed responsibility for the attack, southeast Nigeria has seen scores of assaults blamed on the outlawed separatists, the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) group or its armed wing, the Eastern Security Network (ESN).

IPOB, which seeks a separate state for ethnic Igbo people in the southeast, has repeatedly denied responsibility for the violence.

More than 100 police and other security personnel have been killed since the beginning of last year in targeted attacks, according to local media tallies.

 782 total views,  6 views today

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Business

‘How Fake Zenith Bank Agent Stole N141,000 From My Account’, Hairstylist Narrates

Published

on

Mary Ajah, a hairstylist in Osun State, has narrated how a fraudster posing as a Zenith Bank representative defrauded her of N141,000.

The hairstylist said the scammer succeeded in his scheme because she was desperate to resolve a problem she had with her current bank account.

She said she chatted with the bank to find out what she could do to receive alerts via text messages and her email address but she was told to reach out to them via their social media handles or email addresses as they were not receiving calls at the time.

According to Ajah, this problem of not receiving notifications from her account had been going on since October, immediately after creating a current bank account.

“I sent an email to Zenith Bank, but they didn’t respond on time, so I chatted with them via Twitter. I got a number from the Twitter account and was asked to chat with them on WhatsApp,” Ajah said.

“I didn’t realise on time that the number I received was from an impostor. While we were chatting, the scammer said he wanted to help me link up my savings account to my current account so I could start getting notifications.

“Then I got a number from Twitter to chat with on WhatsApp, but I didn’t realise that it wasn’t their number.

“He requested my card details, which I gave him. But immediately after that, I noticed that they withdrew N141,000. It was then that I had to tell my account officer what had happened.”

Ajah stated that she reached out to the bank after the ugly incident occurred but nothing could be done to salvage the situation.

 

Credit: fijn

 2,219 total views,  2,219 views today

Continue Reading

Entertainment

BBTitans: HoH Blue Aiva And Partner Save Yemi’s Pair As Khosi, Miracle, 7 Others Face Possible Eviction

Published

on

Housemates in the Big Brother Titans reality show have nominated each other for possible eviction on Sunday.

Recall that Blue Aiva and Kanaga Jnr emerged Head of House on Monday night.

This followed the eviction of Sandra and Theo during the live show on Sunday.

At the end of the nomination process on Monday, BlaqLeng, KhosiCle, ThabaNa, YeLisa and JayKay.

However the HOH, KanAiva saved Yelisa and replaced with MaYa.

Here is how housemates nominated:

YeLisa- JayKay and BlaqLeng

JayKay- JenniLi and ThabaNa

Royals -KhosiCle and ThabaNa

KhosiCle -Royals and BlaqLeng

JuVonne – KhosiCle and BlaqLeng

JenniLi -YeLisa and KhosiCle

JuOvla -BlaqLeng and ThabaNa

BlaqLeng -KhosiCle and JuVonne

MaYa -ThabaNa and BlaqLeng

ThabaNa -JayKay and YeLisa

KanAiva -JayKay and KhosiCle

 2,248 total views,  1,843 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

2023: I Rescued You From Obasanjo’s Onslaught, Tinubu Fires Atiku

Published

on

….Your Continuous Gaffes, Miscues Are Effects Of Your Failing Health, Ex VP Replies Asiwaju

The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has claimed he “rescued” the flagbearer of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar from former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Abubakar, who served as vice-president under Obasanjo, had a running battle with his former principal for years.

Both men reconciled ahead of the 2019 general election.

However, Obasanjo has since thrown his weight behind Peter Obi of the Labour Party (LP) for this year’s poll.

Speaking on Monday during a campaign rally in Uyo, the capital of Akwa Ibom, Tinubu said: “I am the one that rescued him from Obasanjo who wanted to roast him like goat meat.

“He ran away to Dubai, and when the election came again, he (Atiku) came for stomach infrastructure. We rehabilitated him in Lagos and gave him a ticket but he wasted it and used it to collect money.

“He faced Obasanjo, faced Buhari and failed. He failed with Jonathan. He failed in all his subjects.”

Meanwhile, the camp of former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar said the “constant gaffes” of All Progressives Congress, APC, presidential candidate Bola Tinubu were embarrassing.

Tinubu has made over 20 gaffes publicly since he declared his intention to contest, Atiku’s special assistant on public communication Phrank Shaibu indicated on Monday.

A statement he signed said in Tinubu’s rally in Akwa Ibom, the APC flagbearer goofed about making Atiku a Senate President though his opponent never contested any legislative election.

Shaibu noted that the former Lagos governor’s gaffes and miscues are “effects of his failing health” which present danger to national security.

The aide recalled Tinubu’s comment on recruitment of 50 million youths into the Army to solve the unemployment problem, advice to Nigerians to renew their Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) before they expire, among others.

 1,629 total views,  1,245 views today

Continue Reading



Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending