Connect with us

Headline

FIFA Bans Alisson, Firminho, Thiago, Ederson, Fred, Three Others From Premier League Weekend Games

Published

on

Eight Brazil players are set to be missing from Premier League games at the weekend after the Brazilian federation invoked a FIFA rule that will temporarily suspend them.

Premier League clubs had collectively voted to ban players from linking up with their national teams this month if it meant travel to and from a country on the UK government’s coronavirus red list, which includes Brazil, Argentina and Turkey among others.

There were fears that any travel from such countries to the UK could pose a health and safety risk to players and staff, as well as having a disruptive effect because of enforced quarantines.

There were eight Brazilian players called up for international duty with the Selecao. They were Liverpool trio, Alisson, Fabinho and Roberto Firmino, Manchester City pair Ederson and Gabriel Jesus, Chelsea’s Thiago Silva, Manchester United’s Fred and Leeds’ Raphinha.

But their respective clubs all blocked from them travelling. That is against FIFA’s rules, which obligates clubs to release any player called up for international duty.

Now, BBC Sport reports that Brazil have called on FIFA to invoke five-day suspensions on the eight players in question that will prevent them from appearing in the Premier League for their club sides this weekend. The bans will be in place from 10-14 September, which would also stop Thiago Silva and Fred from being able to play in the Champions League group stage next Tuesday.

With back-up goalkeeper Zack Steffen already ruled out with coronavirus, Manchester City would be forced to turn to veteran third-choice Scott Carson on Saturday with Ederson banned.

Everton forward Richarlison was also called up and blocked from travelling by his club, but it is said that Brazil have not asked him to be included in the ban they want applied to the others because the Toffees permitted him to represent the Selecao at the Olympics last month.

90min understands that one of the clubs affected is now planning to be without their Brazilian players this weekend, but this has caught them by surprise and they are not happy at all.

This follows Brazilian health officials rushing the pitch during Brazil’s World Cup qualifier against Argentina in an attempt to detain Argentines Emiliano Martinez, Cristian Romero, Giovani Lo Celso and Emiliano Buendia, who were accused of failing to abide by the country’s quarantine rules following their arrival from England. The match was eventually suspended.

Loading

Headline

Africa Practices Winner-Takes-All Democracy, Needs Rethink – Obasanjo

Published

on

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has criticised the model of democracy practised across much of Africa, saying it lacks African context and content and has created a winner-takes-all approach to politics.

Obasanjo said the Western liberal democracy inherited by many African countries was not designed around the continent’s realities, likening its adoption to wearing a dress that was not made to fit.

He argued that the model has created a political culture in which election winners often disregard those who lose.

The former president spoke on Tuesday at the 2026 Goodluck Jonathan Foundation Democracy Dialogue in Bauchi, the Bauchi State capital.

“The Western liberal democracy that we inherited pulls from monarchy, hence we can have government and loyal opposition, loyal to the monarchy. But when you talk about loyal opposition in an African setting and I have gone into many of African languages, opposition means enemy, that is the word. Then do you have a loyal enemy? So, what do you do with your enemy? You crush him and destroy him and that is what we have.

“The democracy we practice has no African context, no African content and if you try to use what is not meant for you to serve your purpose, it is like a dress for which you are not measured, you try to put it on, it is either too small for you or too big for you. It will not fit and it will not serve your purpose. In practice, we have winner takes all, first path post. If you beat me by one vote then you take it all and whatever I have does not matter,” Obasanjo said.

The former Nigerian leader also lamented what he described as poor management of diversity, warning against a democracy that completely disregards the importance of diversity.

He said diversity remained central to African and other societies and must be deliberately protected and nurtured.

“Nigeria is what it is because of our diversity. Remove diversity out of Nigeria you will probably have Republic of Oduduwa, that will not be Nigeria or Republic of Danfodio, that will not be Nigeria. That diversity must be nourished and be taken care of,” he said.

Obasanjo also decried the growing influence of money and other forms of inducement in politics, saying they had been increasing “by leaps and bounds.”

While acknowledging that widespread poverty and illiteracy do not help democracy, the former president also criticised gender imbalance in Nigerian politics since the beginning of the Fourth Republic.

“In Nigeria, you call this one fourth republic, we have not elected a female governor in more than 24 years. And yet the people we are electing, most of them lack character, the lack attributes and values that can endure and can uplift.”

On the way forward, Obasanjo said Nigeria needed more than simply borrowing political parties and judicial structures, stressing that democracy was a continuous process rather than a destination.

He said the countries from which African nations adopted Western liberal democracy were themselves reconsidering aspects of the system, questioning why Africans should not also reassess the model.

“Call it what you like, just make sure it has history, culture and values that are African. You can call it democracy if you like, you can call it African democracy. In that case it will be African with African context and African content,” he said.

The dialogue, chaired by Obasanjo, was attended by former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and former Vice President Namadi Sambo.

Bauchi State Governor Bala Mohammed hosted the event, which also brought together constitutional experts and civil society voices from across the continent.

Loading

Continue Reading

Headline

Professors Now Aid Rigging, Peter Obi Laments Decline In Democratic Principles

Published

on

The presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) in the 2027 election, Peter Obi, has decried what he described as the erosion of democratic principles in Nigeria, saying the country is facing a crisis.

The former Anambra State governor spoke on Tuesday at the 2026 Goodluck Jonathan Foundation Democracy Dialogue in Bauchi, the Bauchi State capital, where he reflected on the state of democracy and governance in the country.

Obi recalled spending three years in court challenging his election as Anambra State governor, noting that judges he had never met previously delivered judgments in his favour.

He said such an experience would be difficult to replicate in Nigeria today.

“I was in court for three years challenging my election, five judges that I never met for one day gave judgement in my favour, it cannot happen in Nigeria of today. I went to Court of Appeal, five judges I never met gave judgement in my favour.

“So, if you look at that and look at what is happening today in Nigeria where professors are now aiding illiterates to rig elections, where our lawmakers have removed forgery as an offence in electoral matters, and Senior Advocates of Nigeria are defending forgery. Our religious leaders are now praying for criminal politicians for blessings. We have a crisis. And above all, our judges are now singing on your mandate,” Obi said.

He urged Nigerians to examine the direction of the country and question the state of its democratic institutions.

Obi said Nigerians must reject the normalisation of practices that undermine democracy, warning that their consequences could be inherited by future generations.

According to him, “We need to reverse this because the abuse we are allowing today will take its revenge on our children.”

This year’s GJF Democracy Dialogue is anchored on the question: “Beyond elections, can political parties and the judiciary save African democracy?”

The event was chaired by former President Olusegun Obasanjo and attended by former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and former Vice President Namadi Sambo.

Bauchi State Governor Bala Mohammed hosted the event, which also brought together constitutional experts and civil society voices from across the continent.

Loading

Continue Reading

Headline

Osun: Outrage as Fadahunsi slams Accord Party, tells followers to kill opposition

Published

on

Outrage has trailed a viral video showing the lawmaker representing Osun East Senatorial District, Francis Fadahunsi, instructing members of the All Progressives Congress to “kill” opposition supporters while condemning Accord Party in Ilesa, Osun State.

The federal lawmaker was addressing some of his supporters and APC members in Ilesa on Tuesday.

Speaking in Yoruba, Fadahunsi, one of the top campaigners of the APC candidate in the August 15, 2026 governorship poll, Bola Oyebamiji, dared the people at the gathering to video-record him and share it on social media.

He said, “If you see any of them from now on to the day of the election, kill them.”

His statement was met with loud cheers from his followers who wore APC fez caps.

Fadahunsi’s statement has since been condemned by many as inciting and anti-democratic.

Pelumi Olajengbesi, a spokesman for the campaign council of Governor Ademola Adeleke, slammed Fadahunsi for the vitriolic order to his followers.

Olajengbesi said, “This is a serious threat to lives and the peaceful conduct of the August 15 election.

“Mr. Inspector-General of Police, this must be addressed immediately. Nobody has the right to kill an Accord member or any citizen. Nobody has the right to stop Osun people from voting. Enough is enough!”

An Osun State indigene, Wale Akintoye, on Facebook, wrote, “Nigeria Police Force Osun CP won’t arrest this man now but will go after people of the opposition party.

“Has it got to this that openly a death sentence is passed by a senator? This is shameful. Politics is not a do-or-die affair, but leaders that are in position are calling for the killing of Osun people.”

Adenike Bekky said, “All because of politics, he seems to have forgotten that it was our votes that gave him the mandate and positioned him where he is today. Why should anyone be threatened or harmed simply because they chose not to decamp with you? Politics should never be a matter of life and death. We cannot all face the same direction, and political differences should never be a reason to threaten the lives of citizens.”

Also, Bukky Stephen said, “Even telling people to record him and send it out means he is above the law. Nigerian police should act on this if they are not biased.”

Loading

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

&m

Trending