Connect with us

Sports

Exclusive: Blame Rohr For Super Eagles Latest Drop In FIFA Rankings – Akpoborie

Published

on

Exclusive: Blame For Rohr's Super Eagles Latest Drop In FIFA Rankings - Akpoborie

….Dosu Defends Coach, Says Performance Satisfactory

By Augustine Akhilomen

Former Nigerian striker, Jonathan Akpoborie has blamed Super Eagles technical adviser, Gernot Rohr for Nigeria’s dropping in the latest FIFA Ranking on Friday.

Nigeria dropped down to 35th position from 32nd in the latest FIFA Coca-Cola world rankings following a lacklustre display in November that saw them end the year without a win.

The Super Eagles dropped three places from their previous position, following a back-to-back poor performance against Sierra Leone in their 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying fixtures.

Rohr’s men squandered a four-goal lead to tie the Leone Stars 4-4 at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium in Benin City, Edo State before playing a goalless draw in the reverse fixture.

Reacting to the development, the former Wolfsburg striker told Thepledge that Rohr’s inability to defeat the Leone Star has affected the team’s ranking.

“I am not too surprised that the Super Eagles dropped down in the latest FIFA rankings going by their poor dismal performance against Sierra Leone in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.

“The first leg at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium really exposed the tactical know-how of the manager after the team squandered a 4 goal lead to draw 4-4. How best can you explain his technical knowledge of the game? I really want to blame him for the team’s latest ranking.

Meanwhile, Atlanta Olympic gold medalist, Dosu Joseph stated that it will be unfair to judge Rohr by the team’s latest FIFA Ranking.

Dosu told Thepledge that Rohr’s technical ability must not question regardless of how the team lost a 4 goal lead to draw 4-4 against Sierra Leone.

“I don’t think it will be wise for us to shift the big blame on Gernot Rohr for the team’s poor ranking in the latest FIFA rankings.

“I really want to believe that the two matches we played against Sierra Leone will only serve as a wakeup call to the team ahead of subsequent games.

The next FIFA rankings, the last for 2020, will be announced on December 10.

 387 total views,  6 views today

Sports

I Regret My Action Against Netherlands Coach, Van Gaal At 2022 World Cup, Says Messi

Published

on

Argentina captain, Lionel Messi, has revealed regretful behaviour during his team’s 2022 FIFA World Cup quarter-final tie against the Netherlands in Qatar.

Recall that Messi led Argentina to beat the Netherlands 4-3 on penalties following a 2-2 draw.

Messi’s first controversial moment during the encounter was after he scored Argentina’s second goal when he cupped his ears and stood defiantly looking at Netherlands head coach Louis van Gaal.

It was a reference to ‘Topo Gigio’, a cartoon mouse that gave Argentina legend Juan Roman Riquelme his nickname.

Riquelme and Van Gaal notoriously didn’t get on while the pair were at Barca, with the former being forced out by the Dutchman.

Speaking to Andy Kusnetzoff in an interview carried by MD, Messi said he did not like his celebration during Argentina’s tie with the Netherlands.

The Paris Saint-Germain forward said, “The truth is that no (I did not prepare it). I did not like it. It came out at the moment and yes, I knew what had been said before the game, what he had said. Some of my teammates told me, ‘did you see what he said’ on purpose.

The former Barcelona captain added, “We got 2-0 and then at the time, I don’t like what I did, what happened later with the ‘off you go, stupid’ [anda pa’ ‘lla bobo]. These are moments of great tension, a lot of anxiousness, everything happens very quickly and you don’t have time to think about anything. Actually, nothing was planned, it happened like that and as I say, it is not an image I like to give off.”

Messi went on to win the Golden Ball award for the best player of the World Cup tournament.

 498 total views,  332 views today

Continue Reading

Sports

Arsenal Set Sights On Chelsea Star, Jorginho

Published

on

Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has switched his attention to Chelsea’s Jorginho in his search for a new central midfielder.

According to SportsMail, a deal is a long way off, but work towards the transfer has started.

It could be completed ahead of Tuesday’s transfer deadline.

This comes as Arsenal spent the whole of Monday deliberating whether to send in a third offer for Brighton midfielder, Moises Caicedo, amid fears they could damage their relationship with Brighton if they submit an improved bid.

Gunners chiefs were deliberating if to improve upon their latest bid of up to £ 70 million.

But Arsenal have started analysing alternatives; with Chelsea midfielder Jorginho emerging as their preferred option.

 508 total views,  332 views today

Continue Reading

Sports

You Can Go If You Wish, Guardiola Tells Cancelo

Published

on

Manchester City defender, Joao Cancelo, is set to leave the club on a loan deal to Bayern Munich, according to The Athletic.

Cancelo has fallen out of favour with manager Pep Guardiola this season.

The 28-year-old and Guardiola have had their ups and downs from the time he moved to the Etihad in 2019 from Juventus.

However, in recent seasons Cancelo has become one of Manchester City’s standout performers contributing both defensively and in the attack.

His form means that Cancelo was only a substitute in Portugal’s last two matches at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Upon his return to England, Cancelo has started only three of City’s matches and has seen Rico Lewis become the first-choice right-back even ahead of Kyle Walker.

 879 total views,  316 views today

Continue Reading



Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending