Connect with us

Headline

Atiku’s Aide Accuses Tinubu Of Diverting Funds Through Secret Petrol Subsidy

Published

on

Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar’s Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, has said that the Federal Government has re-introduced petrol subsidy through the back door.

Recent media reports stated that monthly subsidy payment is nearly N1 trillion, which exceeds the amount that was being paid monthly by the President Muhammadu Buhari administration.

Shaibu, in a statement issued Monday while reacting to reports by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), said that the Nigerian Government had begun paying petrol subsidy again.


He maintained that it had become clear that one of the reasons that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited had not been paying the required amount of money into the government’s account was that monies were being diverted under an opaque and secret subsidy regime.

He said, “Tinubu has been boasting at every economic forum that he deserves to be in the Guinness Book of records for removing petrol subsidy. He even said before ringing the closing bell at NASDAQ in New York last September that the ‘corrupt subsidy’ regime and FX issues had been resolved.

“But as with every other thing relating to Tinubu, this has turned out to be another lie from the pit of hell. Currently, the exchange rate based on what the Central Bank of Nigeria recommended to the Nigeria Customs Service is N1515/$1. Hence diesel price is now over N1,200 but petrol is still selling for between N600 and N700.

“Nigeria is the only country in the world where such disparity between diesel and petrol exists. It has become obvious that petrol subsidy has returned through the backdoor.

“With the return of petrol subsidy, oil marketers have opted out and that is why the NNPC has returned to being the sole importer of petrol once more and has the temerity to be announcing that it will not increase petrol cost regardless of the international price of crude oil and the exchange rate.”

Loading

Continue Reading

Headline

‘Good Riddance To Bad Rubbish’, Nigerians React As High Court Sentence Bobrisky To Six-Month Imprisonment

Published

on

Nigerians have taken to microblogging platform, X (formerly known as Twitter) to express their thought on the court judgment, which saw cross-dresser, Idris Okuneye, popularly known as Bobrisky, sentenced to six months imprisonment.


Recall that Bobrisky, on Friday, was sentenced to six months in jail with no option of a fine.

The judgement was passed by Justice Abimbola Awogboro of the Federal High Court in Lagos.

Recall that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), on Thursday, April 4, filed six-count of money laundering and abuse of naira against him.

On Friday, April 5, the EFCC arraigned Bobrisky in court on six charges, including Abuse of the Naira and Money laundering.

The court, however, dismissed the money laundering charges but convicted him of Naira Abuse after he confessed to the crime.

Some Nigerians, reacting to the court judgement, saw the ruling as an injustice against the cross-dresser.

Others wondered which section Bobrisky will be in jail because of the controversy around the gender he aligns with.

See some reactions below:

@brodamike07 wrote, “If this is true, the judgment is harsh and should be condemned by all.”

@Grachidex wrote, “So is it gonna be the male or female prison?”

@iamkelechiO wrote, “I honestly don’t feel sorry for him. He’s a bad influence in the society.

“Good riddance to bad rubbish.”

@_konfam wrote, “This is not right at all, they’re sentencing him over what everyone is guilty of?”

@IamKonrade wrote, “I hope this sets precedence and that anyone who violates the naira, politicians inclusive, is sentenced.”

@JoyMart14 wrote, “May we not offend people wey no deh accept apology ”

@Iamlexprince wrote, “Ok, now this is pure wickedness and jealousy. Bobrisky is the least of our problem in this country. If they channel that same energy to the right people, we for no dey complain for this country.”

@divfee wrote, “This country funny, is she the first to spray money like this in naija??

Loading

Continue Reading

Headline

Junior Pope: Police Recover Three More Bodies From Boat Mishap

Published

on

Police authorities in Anambra State have recovered three more bodies from a boat accident involving a movie cast.

Nollywood star Junior Pope Odonwodo was part of the crew that drowned in the boat mishap two days back.

While some crew members were yet to be found following the boat tragedy, the spokesperson of the Anambra State Police Command Tochukwu Ikenga said three more bodies of members of the movie cast have been recovered.

“Marine Police of Anambra State Command has recovered bodies of the three remaining victims of the unfortunate boat accident involving a movie cast,” he said in a Friday statement.

“Two of the bodies were recovered yesterday 11th April, 2024 while the last was washed in by the tide this morning.”

The bodies have been deposited at a morgue in Asaba, Delta State while authorities of the guild of actors have also been informed about the recovery.

The spokesman quoted the state’s police commissioner Aderemi Adeoye as advising water commuters to be safety conscious while in transit.

According to the commissioner, the police are fast-tracking the investigation into the accident.

Loading

Continue Reading

Headline

Lagos Court Grants Emefiele N50m Bail

Published

on

The Lagos High Court sitting in Ikeja has granted bail to a former Central Bank (CBN) governor Godwin Emefiele.

Justice Rahman Oshodi granted him bail in the sum of N50m with two sureties in like sum.

The court also held that the sureties must be gainfully employed and have three years of tax payment with the Lagos State Government.

Justice Oshodi said that the sureties must show proper identification and they must be registered in the Lagos State Bail Management System.
Lagos Court Grants Emefiele N50m Bail
The judge also said that he was satisfied with the bail conditions of N1 million, earlier given to Emefiele’s co-defendant Henry Isioma-Omoil who is standing trial on another charge before Justice Olufunke Sule-Hamzat of the Lagos High Court sitting in Yaba.

According to the court, the bail documents must be transferred to the special offences court and it must also be registered in the Lagos State Bail Management System.

Last week Monday, the Economic & Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) charged Emefiele before the court on a 26-count bordering on alleged abuse of office and irregular allocation of $4.5 billion and N2.8 billion respectively

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending