Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of the Ikeja Special Offences Court has sentenced kidnapper, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, aka Evans, alongside an ex-soldier, Victor Aduba, to 21 years imprisonment for kidnapping one Sylvanus Hafia.
The judge, who handed down the verdict without an option of fine on Monday, said the sentence would run concurrently.
On count one, she convicted and sentenced Evans and Aduba to five years imprisonment; for the second count, the judge sentenced them to 21 years imprisonment for kidnapping and five years for unlawful possession of firearms.
Following the judgment, Nigerians including Senior Advocates of Nigeria, had been reacting to the verdict preferred against the controversial kidnapper and his accomplice.
Prof Sam Erugo (SAN), said the court had the discretion on what sentence to pass, adding that in the case of Evans who had multiple charges pending before different courts, for as long they pass the judgments, they would run concurrently.
Erugo added, “I think 21 years is virtually life imprisonment; people arguing that the sentence should be stiffer, even a life sentence doesn’t mean that he will be there all his life. After a certain time, they may exercise some leniency and let the person go.
“21 years is still a very stiff penalty so even after spending the 21 years in prison, the other conviction of life sentence will still hold him there until if we have a lenient governor, maybe in one of the jail releases, they can let him go. 21 years is not a small sentence, it depends on what was before the court.”
Also reacting, Olu Daramola (SAN), however, said the sentence made no difference because Evans was already serving a life sentence.
“If somebody is sentenced to death and in other counts he is exonerated that he did nothing, the fact still remains that he is facing the hangman.
“He already had the stiffer punishment you can get after death in the earlier judgment; he may still be sentenced to death because even if he is sentenced to life imprisonment in all the cases, he can only serve one, because he just has one life,” he said.
Describing the judgement as a positive development, a lawyer, Isiaku Olagunju (SAN) said the judgment would serve as deterrent to other criminals.
“I am glad that judgment has been made. However, there is no way I can criticise the judgement because I was not involved, and I have not read the judgment,” Olagunju added.
In his reaction, Ifedayo Adedipe (SAN), however, said Evans still had the right to appeal the judgment at a higher court.
He said, “More often, most people have been tried on the pages of newspapers and social media before the actual trial, thus I didn’t know the facts, but I am sure the judge would have considered all the available facts.
“In this case, he still has the right of appeal at the Court of Appeal, to the Supreme Court. Sentencing is a question of law based on the available facts. If you have 21 years in jail, I think that is okay because sometimes criminals do repent. So, if you sentenced someone to life imprisonment, how will the society get the benefits of their repentance?”
Recall that Evans and Aduba were accused of conspiring and kidnapping Sylvanus Hafia around 5.30pm on June 23, 2014, at Kara Street, Amuwo Odofin, Lagos State.
The duo, after kidnapping Hafia, allegedly demanded a ransom of $420,000 for her release.
Evans alongside Aduba were later arrested and had been facing four counts bordering on conspiracy to commit kidnapping, kidnapping and unlawful possession of firearms, which are contrary to Sections 409, 269 (3) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011, and Section 9 (1) of robbery and firearms (Special Provision Act) Law of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
The Lagos State Government had on December 15, 2017, arraigned Evans and Aduba on four counts for kidnapping Hafia but the duo pleaded not guilty to the charges.
During the trial, the prosecution called four witnesses including the victim who testified that the convicts received a ransom of $420,000 paid by his brother and wife to secure his release.
The victim testified that he saw Evans before he was blindfolded, adding that he was beaten up.
He testified that when he went to the police station and they brought out the first defendant two months after the incident, he identified Evans and he started begging him.
Justice Taiwo identified two issues for determination, whether the victim was kidnapped and whether the defendants did it.
She found that the victim identified the first defendant during the kidnap and even at the police station where Evans reportedly apologised to him.
The judge also established that there was no evidence of bruises on Evans during his video interview with the police.
“There was no proof of evidence before the court that Evans was tortured by Abba Kyari’s men. In the video interview, during trial within trial, Evans told one Sergent Ekundayo that he was a primary school dropout and that he could not write that the police officer should help him write his statement.
“I am satisfied that the prosecution was able to prove the case against the first defendant,” she held.
He also testified that the second defendant, Aduba, wore his army uniform and helped them pave the way whenever they went for operations so that they could freely leave the town.
The prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt that the first defendant committed the offence of kidnapping; he is hereby convicted and guilty as charged.
It was established that Aduba was a member of the gang which was led by Evans and that his job was to give them safe passage while operating.
The court also considered the confessional statement of the second defendant, in which the judge narrated from.
“I am an army officer and I was introduced to armed robbery and kidnapping by one Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, aka Evans, our gang leader; we have operated five times.
“I have participated five times and we used 4 AK47 rifles to kidnap at Amuwo Odofin. After one month, Evans gave me N1m as my own share of the money. I have made up to N6.5m, in the five times I participated.
“I find the first and second defendants guilty as charged; I hereby convict them as charged,” the judge said.
Earlier, Evans lawyer, Amobi Nzela, announced his appearance, while Aseola Folarin, who appeared for Aduba, in his allocutus begged the court to temper justice with mercy.
She said Aduba was a first time offender whose wife gave birth four months into his incarceration and had not seen the child since he was born.
“He is a father of two and a young man that has served this country while in the army,” Folarin said.
Recall that justice Hakeem Oshodi, had on February 25, 2022, convicted and sentenced Evans and two others, Uche Amadi and Okwuchukwu Nwachukwu, to life imprisonment, on two counts of kidnapping the Managing Director, Maydon Pharmaceuticals Limited, Donatus Dunu, on February 14, 2017.
12,038 total views, 3 views today
2023: We’ll Reproduce Burnt PVCs, Attacks Can’t Stop Elections, INEC Assures
A former Akwa Ibom State Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mike Igini says attacks on the offices of the electoral umpire are attacks on democracy but non-state actors can’t stop the conduct of the 2023 general elections.
He also said the electoral commission will reproduce all Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) burnt by hoodlums during attacks on its offices.
“I am very concerned about the attacks on INEC offices across the country particularly in the areas that have been identified,” Igini said on Channnels Television’s Sunrise Daily.
Attacks on INEC offices have surged in recent times with at least three incidents recorded only in November. 65,699 uncollected PVCs were destroyed by hoodlums who attacked two of its offices in Ogun and Osun states while several PVCs and other electoral items were also burnt during an attack in Ebonyi State.
However, Igini said INEC has the information of all PVCs at state and national offices and it won’t take it days to reproduce them.
“INEC has the capacity to respond to these challenges, particular in respect to the PVCs that have been burnt. INEC has the number of all the PVCs…It is a matter of days, INEC will produce those PVCs,” he said.
He urged Nigerians not to be discouraged but to ensure they get their PVCs and exercise their franchise in the next general election.
The former REC also decried the inability of security agencies to bring perpetrators of violent attacks on INEC offices to book.
“Why should extra-constitutional actors, why should non-legitimise actors continue to attack INEC. It is an attack on democracy. My pain is that we have not been able to track anybody.
“It is a big challenge to all security agencies in this country that for these years, we have been unable to track those who attack our democracy.
“Look at what happened in the US, all those who attacked the Capitol Hill have been brought to book everyday but here we are in a state of anomie,” Igini stated.
91 total views, 91 views today
‘APC Made Nigeria, The Poverty Capital Of The World’, Charly Boy Fumes
Nigerian entertainer, Charles Oputa, popularly known as Charly Boy or Area Fada, has accused the All Progressives Congress, APC, of paying people to attend the party’s campaign rallies.
The popular activist shared a video which captured a man in a vehicle giving out N1,000 each to those on board who were wearing APC caps and T-shirts on his Twitter handle.
He also accused the ruling party of crippling the nation’s economy, saying APC made Nigeria the “Poverty Capital of the World”.
He wrote, “APC paying money to rent crowd for their rallies. What a shame. They first made the country the Poverty Capital of the World, and now they’re shamelessly renting crowds for their rallies openly.
“Anyways, collect your money but wake up
You should use your power to serve the people, not Oppress them!! Free Aminu!!!”
88 total views, 88 views today
Femi Kuti Frowns At Tinubu, APC Over Unauthorised Use Of Fela Song For Campaign
The family of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti frowned at the All Progressives Congress (APC) and its presidential candidate Bola Tinubu for the use of the late artiste’s song for the 2023 election campaign.
Femi Kuti in a “disclaimer and notice of use without consent” for the Fela Anikulapo-Kuti family said the use of Fela’s popular song “Eko Ile” during one of its campaign activities for their 2023 presidential campaign was unauthorised.
The Kuti family said it wished to continue to be politically neutral.
“We the administrators of the estate of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti issue this disclaimer. We wish to state here for clarity, that the permission of the estate was not sought for the use of Fela’s music, Eko Ile, in the All Progressives Congress social media campaign currently making the rounds,” Fela Anikulapo-Kuti family said.
“We do not involve Fela’s music in any political campaign at home or abroad and choose to remain neutral.
“While we wish all candidates the best, we demand that the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria are abided by and intellectual property rights are duly respected. Signed the estate of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti.”
Tinubu and the members of the APC presidential campaign council held a rally last Saturday at Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere, Lagos State.
Fela’s popular song “Eko Ile” was used in a video recap of the rally by Tinubu on Twitter.
95 total views, 95 views today
- Juventus Board Resign Over Alleged Accounting Irregularities
- 2023: We’ll Reproduce Burnt PVCs, Attacks Can’t Stop Elections, INEC Assures
- ‘APC Made Nigeria, The Poverty Capital Of The World’, Charly Boy Fumes
- Femi Kuti Frowns At Tinubu, APC Over Unauthorised Use Of Fela Song For Campaign
- 2023: I’ve No Plans To Relocate FCT To Lagos, Sell NNPC To Friends, Tinubu Tells Atiku, Peter Obi
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment1 year ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Headline1 year ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Entertainment1 year ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
Headline9 months ago
BREAKING: Lagos CP Orders Security Beef Up Following MC Oluomo’s Suspension
Entertainment10 months ago
Singer, Oxlade In Big Mess After His Sex Tape With A Strange Lady Surfaces Online (Watch Video)
Headline7 months ago
Just In: 2023: We Won’t Support Tinubu’s Ambition -Ambode Campaign Organisation
Entertainment2 years ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)
World news4 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda